Dear Cherry Park Community:
As many of you know, our motto at Cherry Park is “Everyone is Growing”. We have certainly learned and grown a lot as we have navigated the pandemic. I am very empathetic to what you are going through as you support your children with their learning at home. I know that there are still so many unknowns and unanswered questions about when we will return to school and this can be frustrating. What I do know is that our Cherry Park community has the most dedicated and loving staff and families! I adore your children and continue to be the most fortunate principal in the world to get to serve you each day.
I will ask for your patience, flexibility, understanding and partnership as we continue to receive guidance from our governor, health department, county and district. We can do it together! Our plan for coming back to school physically, of course, will be determined by the number of COVID cases in Multnomah County. I want to assure you that we will continue to do our best to help your child experience great gains academically and socially even in a virtual format. We are always open to suggestions on how best to fit the needs of your child and pride ourselves on having an “open door” policy so please feel free to reach out during the year.
I am all about clear and comprehensive communication. You should expect to get an email from me each week outlining updates and resources. If you have not been getting my emails, please call our office (503) 256-6501 or email Sarah_Anderson@ddsd40.org to update your child’s record. This is our main way of communicating so it is critical that we have a current email and phone number on file. Thank you.
COMPREHENSIVE DISTANCE LEARNING
Students have live instruction every day from their teachers in reading, math, and writing. We also have instruction in social studies, science, PE, music, library and art. Students participate in both whole group and small group instruction. There are assignments to be completed off-line. Just like in past years, attendance is going to be crucial. However, we know that some parents may have other obligations (like work) so we record most live sessions. The most important thing is to support your child with logging on to our online learning platform every day so they can boost their academics as well as connect with their friends and teachers. If you need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Below are four priorities that we adopted from the Oregon Department of Education’s guidance that we are using to plan this year:
- Ensure safety and wellness: The decision to return to school settings must be driven by health and safety considerations.
- Cultivate connection and relationship: Quality learning experiences require deep interpersonal relationships and a learning environment where people feel safe, seen, and valued.
- Center equity: We recognize the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, and Latino/a/x, Pacific Islander communities; students experiencing disabilities, and students and families navigating poverty. We are applying an equity-informed, anti-racist, anti-oppressive lens to promote culturally sustaining and revitalizing educational systems that support every child.
- Innovate: The complex circumstances in which learning is currently situated requires ongoing reflection and innovation to assure deep learning for every student.
Each student is issued a Chromebook so that they can engage in synchronous (live), asynchronous (recorded), and applied (independent) learning. If you need to exchange a Chromebook, please come to our office Monday-Friday 7:30 AM- 3:30 PM.
STUDENT AND FAMILY SUPPORT
We provide support to our families so that they know how best to help their children. Our Curriculum and Technology Department provide video tutorials to help parents and students. We also provide technical ‘Helpdesk’ support via email and phone for our staff, families, and students. In addition, each day our teachers have office hours where you can call and check-in if you have questions. Please go to this link if you need help: https://www.ddouglas.k12.or.us/school-during-covid/family-technology-support/
We typically charge a $20.00 supply fee for each of our students. We will not be charging parents during distance learning. When we go back to school in person we may charge families a pro-rated amount.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
We will continue to serve free breakfast and free lunch to all of our students. Lunch and breakfast will be served at every school in David Douglas, including Cherry Park. In addition, we will also have a few Meal Stops around our boundaries once a day between 12:00-1:00. Please go to this link to find a stop close to you: https://www.ddouglas.k12.or.us/school-during-covid/food-resources/
We have food boxes available for families to pick up twice a week. Swing on in every Monday from 3:45-5:15 and Wednesdays 2:15-3:15 to get your food box. Food boxes are distributed on a first come/first serve basis. See more details at: https://www.ddouglas.k12.or.us/school-during-covid/food-resources/
- Preschool: Max Striplin and Amanda Price
- Kindergarten: Katie Callaway and Brandi Lalande
- First Grade: Linda Steele, Julie Ann Weinert and Laura Martinez
- Second Grade: Jason Adams, Chloe Yates and Shivani Guild (Shivani is out on maternity leave until February. Her substitute is still to be determined)
- Third Grade: Anya Chantiny, Anne O’Brien and Christina White
- Fourth Grade: Phil Spooner, Alissa Blair and Bryan Sager
- Fifth Grade: Jan LeBlanc and Stephanie Myhre
- Special Education: Amy Ramert
- Speech: Rachel Grewe
- Title I Reading Specialist: Sarah Felker
- Music: Kathy Wray
- PE: Kevin Muldoon
- Language Development Specialist (LDS): Anna Gokhman
- Student Achievement Specialist (SAS): Miki Johnson
- Student Behavior Specialist (SBS): Matt Soule
- Counselor: Jess Polledri (Jess will be out on maternity leave until March)
- SUN Coordinator: Heather Mackris
If you every have any questions or feedback please feel free to reach out to me. I am here to serve your children and your family. Together We Are Stronger!